Saturday, October 11, 2008

Isha Yoga (or I Stand with Bultmann)

How could I come to India and resist the temptation to explore its wonderful mystic and spiritual traditions? Especially since I, like so many others before me, have become greatly dissastisfied with my own religious tradition. And to paraphase the great Max Müller (who barrowed the idea from Goethe), religions are like languages: if you only know one, you know none. So I set out to see what the world had to offer.

I began my journey how I can only assume most mystics and sages of old began their journeys, by booking a three day retreat-course at the Isha Yoga Center for 8,000 Rupees - a small price for enlightenment. Of course, it wasn't until sometime later that I discovered enlighten only comes after you register for the Level II course.

The retreat was located near the base of the beautiful Valliangiri Foothills outside of Coimbatore, an eight hour train journey. All aboard the Cheran Express (a little bit like The Darjeeling Limited). 

The grounds of the Isha Yoga were beautifully green and the food was outstanding. I met some wonderful people, most of whom I will not see again, but it does not detract from the enjoyable times we shared.

The Yoga itself, however, was a little disappointing. The entire place seemed to follow a little too closely the words and teachings of a certain Sadhguru. And there were too many philosophical and theological assertions for me to whole hearted accept the experience, despite my best efforts to do so. Not that I don't want to be god, it is just that if I was, I think I would know it without someone telling me. But then again, I didn't know I was a male until the 7th grade.

All in all, Isha Yoga was like not so unlike my Christian experience. There is a lot of good mixed in with a lot that is simply unnacceptable to modern man. If we could just strip away the myth and reconstruct the essence of the teaching! So for now, I stand with Bultmann.

1 comment:

Big Booty Number Troy said...

Anthony,

What are the black spaces?

Maybe you ought to change your background color or something...

What did bultmann say again?